BLACK ACADEMICS WHERE ARE YOU?

I write this article in deep disappointment

I spent 39 minutes on the phone to Dr Martin Glynn, an expert on his field with critical race theory and criminal justice. He saw my elevator pitch on LinkedIn and he reminded me why I must keep going. He usually does not give his time to people, but he saw I did something different and reached out to me. Imagine today I graduated today and I hope to do my PhD in the absence of paternal roles in the black community, the effect it has on black children.

To know I have to continue to reach out to countless academics to have a shot is maddening and reminds of the doors locked in academia unless you get your masters and PhD.

I aim to become a lecturer that brings the unique lived experience as a young black millennial male. By going through the necessary processes to become a relatable face that my community can aspire towards. Society is not being reflected in the education system.  We need an inclusive and representative education system. I will bring a different dimension to the academic profession helping through the creation of a curriculum that educates the future leaders about the importance of inclusion across all spectrums, race, social mobility, gender.

According to Shepherd (2011), in 2011, out of 14,000 professors in the UK only 50 were black. Research by Adams (2018) only 90 black men are professors. Upon reflection, I acknowledge as a man I am somewhat privileged as recent figures by Garner (2015) show that there are only 17 black female professors in UK universities. 92.4% of professors are white, with black professors making up 0.49%. 15 black academics in senior management roles.


https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46247776

Above is the article linking the first black female history professor could you imagine? 

Now the latest figures show that black staff earn 26% less than their white counterparts. as below, we face so much opposition we need the door opened more 

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/academics-from-ethnic-minorities-experience-26-pay-gap/


Universities now have to publish their gender pay gap data and an ethnicity pay gap reporting could likewise become mandatory to improve the progression of careers for ethnic minority groups (Webber 2018), this could be instrumental if it results in an improvement in the recruitment, management, development and promotion for those from ethnic minority background. This is also alarming as I want to be a lecturer and it seems not only is it hard to get an audience, but the pay is a huge deterrence 


Whilst I aim to be a lecturer I wonder who do I reach out to?

Kehinde Andrews 
Emma Dabiri
Akala 

I wonder how will I get into contact with such high prestigious individuals 

Any help would be appreciated!

Lovee

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

' Finding Worlds Again' An Interview with Solomon Adams

A moment of craziness

Lets transition from the emerging transracial movement creeping into the society