My First Ever TED X Talk 29th July

So Yes on the 29th July I gave a Ted X talk. Gave a Ted X Talk on the failures of multiculturalism and the education system how it has failed the black community in teaching us a history that is outside the white paradigms

Its still very much surreal, I walked onto that stage and I WAS SOOO NERVOUS. I forgot most of my words. I had to improvise the talk from what I could remember about it. To speak on the failures of multiculturalism and the education system was a dream come through the support was fantastic. It was in correlation to my research which I will detail below.

My research about the 3 Issues Black men face 

I would argue that one of the main issues when it comes to improving the outcomes for young black men in education from early years to university.  I base this understanding on a number of academic studies of which I researched extensively when I delivered a talk about the attainment gap at a BAME Leaders Conference (2017) for Roehampton University. Figures show that the attainment gap between white and ethnic minority students, nationally only 57% of ethnic minority students achieve a 2:1 or above compared to 73% of white students (Andrews 2016). This trend is a continuing symptom of the national curriculum's lack of an inclusive system to reflect a society that is multi-ethnic and diverse and underachievement is a feature of the English education system. Alarmingly another study found that whilst black candidates make up 9% of UCAS application over a five-year period 52% of applications were investigated for potentially fraudulent activity (Weale & Duncan 2018). So, before a university can have the chance black students are facing a bias and prejudice screening process. Rendering black students at unfair disadvantages. If British is to be a fair and inclusive society, education must reinforce and reflect this.
 
The second issue is the criminal justice system as A recent review by MP David Lammy found that at most stages black men were over-represented. In Western countries, prisons have emerged ad increased as new forms of social control. The study by the Equality and Human Rights Commission shows there is now a greater disproportionality of black people in prisons in the UK than the United States (Prison Reform Trust 2017). From 2005 to 2006 black male prisoners rose by 67% (Sloan & Allison 2015), The improving of young black men in these institutions is paramount otherwise we continue the conveyor belt of prisons acting as warehouse holding black men offering no chance of change.   This shows how society is more harmful towards the young black male rather than the young black male is towards society.

Finally, I would argue that family and community play a huge role in improving outcomes for black men. I argue that black men lack positive role models and empowerment from within their own communities and families.  Research shows African Caribbean fathers are twice as likely as white fathers to live apart from their children. However, by the time their children are 5 years old more than 40 per cent are still living with them despite the categorizing of many of their partners as ‘lone parent’ at the time of their baby’s birth. As with fathers from other backgrounds, many African Caribbean fathers who may not be resident with the mothers of their children continue to remain involved in parenting. Now what I am saying is not that there is a one size fits all, but I do believe if charity begins at home, the home needs the love to enrich the internal experiences of young black men. the family unit from home, to school, to the wider society. Parents are instrumental to engagement and improving the outcomes of young black men, which is highlighted fantastic under the theory of change.  Myself coming from a single parent background, my mother raised me, and my father unfortunately died, and I know and can feel the absence of not having a father. Now having a son, I know the importance of having a family unit. I searched for role models in my community and found that in places that were otherwise to my detriment. The family is one of the most important parts of socialization in our community.
 

Through all of this in regards to what I believe that are the three biggest issues shows that the issues all work interchangeably and not singular. They are part of the machine that is a conveyor belt hindering the improving the outcomes of young black men.


The journey is at an end. I have since applied for 2 Ted X talks since then. So its simply the beginning!

Here is the link to my talk below!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmyPmK8AYMI






and my personal  youtube channel






 Hope you enjoyed gang!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

' Finding Worlds Again' An Interview with Solomon Adams

A moment of craziness

Lets transition from the emerging transracial movement creeping into the society